Purified - Brian Robert Smith
“This was a Prison to Mason. His crime had been death itself, and he had been sentenced with life.”

Mason Bushing just died only to be reborn as a dead man walking thanks to Dr. Harlow's Purify drug. The insane Doctor is conducting human experiments for his drug called Purify. This drug brings the dead back to the living and Purifies their bodies. Mason is one of Dr. Harlow's test subjects and Mason is determined to break free and get his old life back. He sets out to find his wife Jill only to find out she's moved on and is enjoying the insurance money she received when Mason "died"

“This Mason's magnificent. This Mason is miraculous. This Mason has evolved.”

Some of the things I liked about this book are that it is very unique and has an interesting concept. It was a little confusing to start and slow for me; however it didn’t take long for me to get sucked in. I was intrigued and captivated by the characters and the premise of the story. I kept trying to figure out what was going to happen and never once did I predict any part of it. Once I learned who all the characters were, the story was easy to follow and flowed well. I loved the concept of scientific underground experiments and evolution. It sort of reminded me of "Island of Dr. Moreau" and "The Fly". I was very interested in the rejects and other people in the Purified program.

description

Some of the things I didn't like are that there is so much going on in this story that I feel its skates around the actual plot and makes the story feel a little chaotic and lost. [spoiler]You have insurance fraud, an affair with the BFF's wife, a cop who's trying charge you with multiple murders and he also has a wife who recently passed away and [/spoiler] All I really want to know about is Dr. Harlow and the Purified experiments. My sci-fi hat is on and I'm getting the fiction imagery but not the science of a sci-fi story. I also feel like I got a lot of unnecessary background from the characters that could have been inserted into character conversations or internal dialogue. Maybe leave a little for the reader to figure out. It really felt like page filler to me. Something else that bothered me was the over usage of the words reluctant/reluctantly/reluctance was annoying me. And finally the one big thing I didn't like is that the ending of the story leaves you hanging. Dont get me wrong, it does have an ending but I feel it ended too soon. The entire story was wrapped up on one page. It felt rushed and I really wanted/needed an epilogue. What happened to Mason and Linda? Were there any witnesses to the big escape? What about Stace and Warren? What happened to the nurses at the compound and at the hospital. How many people were really helping Dr. Harlow? I know what happened to Dr. Harlow, but isn't anyone going to talk about the elephant in the room? Come on! In my opinion I feel like this is incomplete.

description

Overall, it was an interesting read. If you like the fiction of a story without the science to back it up then this may be the book for you. This book has interesting characters and there are a few heart pumping moments. I did enjoy the story but was hoping for a little bit more science and a better conclusion. I would read more from this author and am interested in seeing how his writing style improves over time. I know that authors can't make everyone happy and something that I don't care for may be what someone else loves. So when choosing a book I look at the good, the bad and the okay reviews to get an overall perspective.